Friday, February 22, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green

What a corny title - what can I say? I have no excuse.

I have always considered myself environmentally aware. But this year I am making a real effort to Go Green. After working on getting curbside recycling in the subdivision, I started thinking about what else we could do to save the planet. Carbon emissions are increasing; the glaciers are shrinking.

And we live in a 4,000 sf house. With a swimming pool we run all year long. Not to mention the fact that we live in suburban hell, thus I am required to drive everywhere - we are not in a pedestrian-friendly environment.

But we can still make an effort. So, in light of the state of the planet, these are among our lifestyle changes:

• Plastic bags: I have not gotten plastic bags at the grocery store for months. Living in Germany, you learn to take your own bags. They are not automatically provided - you have to bring your own or buy them - a practice IKEA has adopted here. So I have a collection of canvas bags. They are starting to look somewhat worse for the wear, and I have found the new bags available at Target, Randall's and HEB to be far superior - they are made of some sort of post-consumer product, they are big, and very sturdy. I am a convert. But you have to educate baggers here - they look at me as if I am some sort of subversive when I hand them my pile of bags. They want to put the plastic bags inside my bags (um, sort of defeats the purpose). Or I really inspire the looks when - even more radical - I do not take a bag at all when I have purchased one small item. But it's worth it - I have not brought a bag into this house for at least three months. Score: 10/10

• Recycling: We are dutifully collecting our recycling and hauling it 16.82 miles each way to the Westpark Recycling Center. Bad news: Long drive, so we are burning fossil fuels to get there. Good news: We don't go very often. And they accept tin cans, plastic, aluminum, glass, and batteries. And you don't have to sort. And, since aluminum is infinitely recyclable, I'm going to give us extra credit for this one, despite the burning of gasoline. Score: 7/10

• Light bulbs: I was adamantly against the fluorescent bulbs - that light is so unflattering. But I am giving in, as I can see the long-term benefits. I can suffer through some strange lighting tints if it means my children will see snow-topped mountains. And we haven't yet replaced them all (though Gary found some great bulbs for the recessed lighting in the kitchen, and it really isn't bad - very bright). Score: 7/10

• Reduce/Reuse/Recycle: I collect everything I can - junk mail, catalogs, scrap paper, all plastics. We wash full loads of laundry (OK, not a real challenge when you have a family of five). I buy as little packaging as possible. I even wash out ziploc bags - how's that for commitment? The means, sometimes, do justify the ends. 9/10

• Carpooling: Gary carpools to work. Yes, it saves gas. Also saves time - they can use the HOV lane and be home in 30 minutes, rather than idling on the road for more than an hour. 10/10

• Meat: The best thing you can do for the environment? Stop eating meat. The raising of meat, particularly beef, uses up an incredible amount of resources, from the feeding and rearing of cattle to the transport. Not to mention the scandal in the meat-packing industry last week - that alone is enough to turn your stomach. So I've made an effort to cut way back on the red meat. We purchase very little, though I did buy some sausage this week. But I learned that ground turkey works very well for recipes that call for ground beef - well enough that no one around here even noticed. Score: 5/10

• Freecycle: I am a member of our local freecycle group. Anything you don't want, are hesitant to throw away, or need hauled off, you can just post to freecycle. Trust me, someone will come and get it. If you throw it all in a box, mention the two good things, and insist that someone take all, you'll get a dozen responses. I can't guarantee that none of it gets thrown away, but most of it gets re-used. And I don't have to do the hauling. 10/10.

If you add in the number of times I run around turning off lights, radios, and ceiling fans in empty rooms, we are making our own little dent. Don't look for me to appear in hemp shoes or buy all my clothes at the re-sale shop. But it's the least I can do - we'll just consider it a gift to my grandchildren.

No comments: