Thursday, February 21, 2008

Here and Now

The Easter candy is out. Full force. The aisles of the supermarket were full of pastel-colored bags, full of pastel-colored, foil-wrapped goodies.

(And who wants Hershey kisses with coconut? Yuck.)

I passed them all by. First of all, I am not eating that kind of stuff right now - I am viewing it all as toxins. And secondly, but probably more importantly, I am not ready. It's only February - Easter is not here yet.

Thich Nhat Hanh encourages living in the present moment, an acceptance of the here and the now. This is something I'm working on, striving for. Rather than constantly anticipating what should happen or what awaits - Christmas, vacation, promotion - he believes in appreciating the peace and beauty that are available now.

There are critics - some argue that these teachings do not encourage working against injustice. And, for me, I find that it can be too easy to get caught in only the present, ignoring any plans or preparation that is needed for the future.

None the less, I am trying to be more mindful of the present, concerning myself less with worrying about what the future holds.

Helps keep my mind off the drama around here - of which there is plenty. Life with three kids - this is how it is. Time to just take a deep breath, concentrate on inner peace, and let the beauty of the moment wash over me.

Deep breath. There is much in this moment for which I am grateful.

“Life can be found only in the present moment. The past is gone, the future is not yet here, and if we do not go back to ourselves in the present moment, we cannot be in touch with life.” — Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments: