Wednesday, February 13, 2008

In other mundane news ...

So. This morning I decided to add a splash of interest to the sweater and slacks I was wearing. I chose a scarf as an accessory.

God. I am officially old. I guess a brooch might have been worse. But come to think of it, I have one that might have looked good with the outfit.

Yesterday I saw a woman walking down my street, her head covered with a nylon head scarf. Remember those? My mother used to wear them. Though what I really remember her using it for was when she had her hair in rollers mid-day, when my parents were going out that evening. These are the pre-curling iron days, and I guess you had to know at noon how you wanted your hair to turn out at 7.

For the record, I do not wear those. Nor do I wear plastic rain bonnets. Though maybe they are a good idea, after all.

*****

Apparently, the American Idol contestants were only given a handful of song options for Hollywood week. They could sing "Sway," "Everything I Do" (dreadful, dreadful song by Bryan Adams, for whom I lost all respect), "When I Need You" (I have bad memories of hearing this on the radio ALL the time - and where is Leo Sayer, anyway?), or "Love The One You're With." All the contestants seemed to perform these same songs. And with the exception of "Sway," I didn't really care to hear any of them.

The show has been over for more than an hour, and I am still having unpleasant flashbacks.

*****

Please let tomorrow be a headache free day. Pleeeaase.

*****

I live among people who like to complain - that much has been established. But really - this morning - and it is February - people out at the bus stop were bundled up, whining about the cold, planning their day so that they could avoid the weather. It was in the high 30s; it got up into the high 50s or low 60s today. These are clearly not hearty folks; a day in Minnesota would about kill them.

*****

A Beagle won the Westminster dog show. First time ever.

It wasn't our dog. She was not even in the running. Just felt the need to clarify, in case you were wondering. Zoe is not the award-winning type. She did win a blue ribbon at the 4-H show. Once. And even after she snapped at the judge. But it was a fluke.

New Colbert Report tonight. It's been a long dry spell - I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing at you accessorizing with a scarf. I'm sure it looked just fine. And what's wrong with a brooch? I personally love them, but only if they're vintage or handmade (by me, of course).

Yep, you Texans need to buck up. It's going to be a balmy 53 here today and we're all excited because the ice is going to melt. The heat will be short-lived as tomorrow's high is only expected to be around 25. Spring cannot arrive too soon.

Yay! The writer's strike is over! Now I can finally get new episodes of House and Reaper.