Monday, February 11, 2008

Catch up. Get ready.

I grocery shopped today.

This is noteworthy because I really hate shopping for groceries. I like buying clothes, gifts, books, music, shoes, furniture. I love a trip to the hardware store, and I quite enjoy a run to Target. But groceries? The worst.

Yet, oddly enough, I like to eat. However, I enjoy eating more when someone else does the cooking.

That said, I'm really not a bad cook. I love having people over, love baking, and enjoy using all the accoutrements required for cooking, serving, and entertaining. It's the fixing-dinner-every-evening thing that I hate. And the weekly shopping. It's one of those tasks that is just never done.

But I did it. So now I'm off the hook - for a week, anyway. Or, if Gary goes out of town, even longer ...

*****

Fun weekend. So to speak - we're not usually that exciting. Went to a party Thursday night, met the local candidate for Congress, chatted with friends. Sylvia's teacher showed up, which was a nice surprise - we love her. She and I, we're like best friends now - we're tight.

Then Friday, we found ourselves alone - this is happening more and more often lately. Alison had a school dance (she looked beautiful - she does have a knack for choosing great formals) and Maddie babysat, while Sylvia went to a friend's. So we went out to dinner at our local sushi joint, then down to River Oaks to see The Savages. I liked it - it wasn't great, but it was good. And I liked both Laura Linney and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Then Saturday night - after a fun-filled day of soccer and garage organizing - we took Sylvia and Maddie out for Cajun food (Alison was babysitting) then came home, Wii'd, and watched La Vie en Rose. The first several minutes were confusing, to say the least. Then it dawned on me: Language selection - we do not really need to watch the entire film en Francais. Good thing - I actually thought my French was pretty good (good enough, anyway, to pass the foreign language requirement in grad school, though that was reading - but I had to read Simone de Beauvoir, which I would not categorize as easy). And it certainly seemed that way while I was learning German, when every word came out in French, but watching this, I caught about every 53rd word. Which does not make for a coherent story. But I could not seem to get the subtitles to work. Switched back to the movie, and while I could figure out the major themes ("Take her!" "No, I won't!" "Come back!" "Titine, please!") some of the subtleties were lost on me. When Alison got home I had her try, and sadly, she is just as technologically inept as we are. Then suddenly the lightbulb went on: There is a button on the remote that turns on the subtitles. We were in business.

For the record: Not a great movie. It was OK - especially visually - but not great. It sort of jumped around and you had to look closely at her hairstyle to guess what year it was. And I was concerned til the very end about a very significant part of her life that had been eliminated. Then, suddenly, there it was at the end - an intentional plot device. I was shocked that they had overlooked it ... but of course, they had not. But wow - that Marion Cotillard was amazing. She gave a fantastic performance, and she even looked like Piaf. If you're a Piaf fan (and I confess, I find her mesmerizing), then you'll like this. If you don't like or, or don't care, I'd recommend a pass - you won't be impressed.

*****

I freecycled a bunch of stuff. Old clothes, kids' stuff. Do not EVER tell my husband this, but I have way too many clothes. And shoes. My closet is too full (and I have a huge closet). But I feel better now that I've weeded some of it out.

*****

I lay awake last night, woke up frequently, worried about how I was going to manage being three places at the same time. And each time I had to remind myself: That is for Tuesday evening - tonight is just Monday! I hate those evenings when I toss and turn, my mind too full to sleep. Now that I've lost sleep a day too early, let's hope that tonight is easier. Everyone will get where they need to be, one way or another.

*****

The writers' strike is nearly over - yay! I am in solidarity with the writers (naturally). Peter is not - he is management, he reminds me. Keep remembering that when you're watching re-runs there, Peter. Even American Experience is a re-run tonight. Thank goodness for Law & Order repeats - even if I've seen them, they always feel new. And Alison was kind enough to pick up a book for me: Mates, Dates and Inflatable Bras. Nothing like British teenage lit to turn me on. I can crank up the deservedly Grammy-winning Amy Winehouse (loving her!) and take it easy.

Oh yes. Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love Amy Winehouse. The writers didn't handle the situation correctly. The final resolution was something that could have been achieved without the strike. They didn't negotiate in good faith. Everyone lost in this situation.

Call me so I can tell you about NYC. Fabulous time.