Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The excitement builds

It's busy around here. I say that every week; every week it is true.

I never even blogged about going to see Obama - that is how my days are. It was akin to attending a rock concert - that level of excitement. The warm-up band was playing music by Kool and the Gang, Aretha Franklin, Gloria Gaynor, Earth, Wind & Fire. It struck me that should he be elected, it will be a much funkier White House.

He came out late - naturally - and they kept schlepping out volunteers to get us fired up! Ready to go! It felt like a high school pep rally. And I wasn't going to waste my "Fired Up! Ready to go!" on campaign volunteers. Especially as it was approaching 8.45 p.m., and I had kids who needed to either hear a candidate or go to bed.

He made it around 8.45. And he does not disappoint. Obama is very charismatic, an excellent speaker. Peter Sagel on Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me said that his rallies have been likened to religious revivals ... except that at revivals, Jesus himself does not actually make an appearance (!)

His speech was great - like a proper politician, he promised everyone, everything. The energy was very contagious, and it was tough not to be swept up in the frenzy. Even though we left early - by 9.15 the girls were exhausted, and we figured it was better to beat a bit of the crowd (the Toyota Center holds 19,000 people - good call).

I'm not sure I'm totally on board with Obama. I like him - what's not to like? - but I'm not completely swayed. I do think he has not been vetted, and I agree that the media are throwing him some softballs. A lot remains to be seen - he cannot keep up the dazzle factor forever.

Though let's face it: John McCain is too old. He would be 71 when elected, and being president ages those in office. He spent five years as a POW; life has not been easy for him. While I respect a lot of what he has done (though a little less over the last two years as he has been shamelessly pandering for president), he is just too old.

And I'm not even sure where I stand - I am very torn. But I think it's a good dilemma.

The point of this post is to show just how people are feeling about this election. Early voting totals here in Texas are staggering. As of yesterday, these are the numbers for Harris County (the biggest county in Texas):

Democrats: 95,940
Republicans: 29,330

Totals for 2004 and 2006 don't even come close.

People are energized. Let's hope the momentum lasts through November.

No comments: