Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Happy Birthday!

A quick Happy Birthday to my high school partner in crime, Tammy Johnson. (How weird is it that not only was there another Tammy Johnson in Springfield, MO, but that not only was she a high school student, but did not go to our high school, yet lived only blocks away from the Tammy I knew?)

I won't give her age - that would be rude - but I will say she is exactly one month younger than I am. Which takes out of the market all the great birthday cards that taunt, "Ha ha, I'll always be younger than you." It's OK, though - I just buy them for my friend Helen :)

I think I've mentioned this before, but Tammy and I have been friends since the first day of fourth grade, when she - wearing the jacket with strawberries on it - said she liked the cover of my spiral notebook (Holly Hobby-like, as I recall). I promptly ripped it off and said she could have it.

We bonded instantly. Bad taste at a young age will do that to you.

We went through those awkward middle school years together, grew into insecure teens, at some point matured, and went our separate ways at college time. Oh, the stories I could tell ... though I'll refrain, because she has just as many embarrassing moments on me. I still have the book she gave me when I left for college, a book of British poetry. Though we got wrapped up in our lives from time to time, we always came back and called eventually - I would bet she could still tell you my parents' phone number.

She isn't home today, or I'd give her a call. But we'll talk soon. And maybe see one another? I certainly hope so - it's been awhile, and I'm always up for a get-away weekend.

Happy Birthday No. ??, Tammy. Drink a margarita for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes. I wish I'd been home to receive your phone call. We always manage to burn up the phone lines no matter how long it's been since we last talked.

Thanks for not telling too many stories on me! While many of them were very dramatic at one time, most are hilarious now. I don't think my years of high school would have been nearly as fun or memorable without you.

So here's to us being 29...again.