Friday, June 29, 2007

Farewell to an icon

Way back when I graduated from college, I found the perfect dress. It was a perfect black and white summer dress, looked great on me. But it was by Liz Claiborne, and at $100, it was beyond my budget.

I didn't get the dress (I bought another one, and it still hangs in my closet, though I don't wear it). But when I entered the working world, I became quite the Liz Claiborne fan. Her clothing became a wardrobe staple for me during my 20s, back when I was working full time. I loved the cut and style of her working wardrobe - it was very chic and dressy without being fussy. You must remember, this is the late 80s/early 90s, and styles were different. I also loved Casual Corner, The Limited, and Jones New York, shopping from Spiegel Catalog.

So I couldn't help but note that Liz Claiborne died recently. I didn't realize how relatively new her clothing was - it didn't really come to prominence until the 1970s. She is known for single-handedly reinventing style for the working woman who, prior to Claiborne & Co., were relegated to suits with foulard bows (a look I thought was über-chic when I was in high school - it's pictured in The Preppy Handbook - oh wow, haven't thought of that book in years!).

I loved her perfume, her shorts, her swimsuits. I still like her jewelry. Many of her clothes still hang in my closet. No longer worn, but I can't throw them out. They have a classic feel, and I need to hold onto them.

I've moved on a bit from Liz over the past decade - suddenly, when I hit my 30s, styles changed, and but Liz seemed to stay behind. Her casual clothes all felt like golf clothing (women's golf wear is not a look I aspire to - I find the shorts icky and the polo shirts a bit too retro for my taste) and her working clothes felt a bit too frumpy. But I still like some of her brands - DKNY, Kate Spade, Juicy Couture.

I loved the story about how she appeared on Oprah and admitted to giving proceeds from her company to devil-worshipers. Apparently Oprah changed clothes during the break and confronted Liz, saying she'd removed her LC dress and would never, ever wear her clothing again. Naturally, no one had actually seen the episode, but everyone knew someone who had seen it.

Right. From what I understand, the same urban legend has circulated about Tommy Hilfiger. I'm guessing no has seen that episode, either.

So I'm sad to see her go. A woman who saw a need and revolutionized fashion for women. Good going, Liz. The world needs a few more women like you.

No comments: