Friday, June 22, 2007

Common sense

Each day as I drive my eldest to driving school, she gets a mini-lesson in how not to drive:

• Don't talk on the mobile
• Don't stop on train tracks (they are in operation - even in the mornings)
• Don't block the intersection just because you hope to catch the green light, thus blocking the entire intersection for the next light cycle.
• Don't block traffic by letting your kid out in the middle of the street
• Don't think you're so special that you do not have to follow the rules, wait in the queue like the rest of us. Hey, it's a drag, inconvenient for ALL of us. But it's the way it is.

I am listening to 106.9, tolerating lots of crappy 80s music, in my possibly futile quest to win Police tickets. Am I dying to see them? Not so much. It's the pursuit of the tickets. When the station plays two Police songs in a row, then you call in at the beginning of song No. 2. They keep faking me out. Devil.

Took the younger two to the mall today, so they could spend their hard-earned dollars. One bought a pricey purse. Gulp. The younger one bought Jibbetz, those ridiculous items used to adorn Crocs. It's her money - $5.39 - wow. She pulled out her twenty, and the cashier typed it in. Oh, I said, I have 40 cents. So what does Sylvia get in change? $14. Um, I said. I gave you the 40 cents. Well, she said, I didn't type that amount into the cash register, so I couldn't make that change.

???

Apparently she cannot do that simple math in her head. She handed me the dollar, but not the penny - she didn't even offer it. I mentioned that her register might be over, and she just stared at me.

This gives me new confidence about the future of the United States.

Last swim meet tomorrow - Maddie is sad, but it's time - we've had enough Saturdays eaten up by this little endeavor. But it's been good for her, so we've been properly supportive parents. Though I'm missing part of tomorrow's meet - I have another commitment.

Swimming, driving, dance class - thank goodness it's Friday. The end.

No comments: