Saturday, December 30, 2006

Go, Mizzou?

Missouri played in the Sun Bowl yesterday. My friend in California mentioned that she was hosting the alunni gathering; when I told her we would just watch at home, she sent me the info for the Houston party. So, thanks to directions by way of Orange County, California, we went.

I've never been all rah-rah about my alma mater. We give some money, and we certainly watch the games. But I've never felt a strong need to relive those days. However, the party was fun. I would have known none of these people while I was in school - they were all about 15 years older or 15 years younger. Fun, none the less. The table where we sat was filled with former Greeks; they weren't obnoxious or overbearing, but one woman mentioned consistently, Yes, she was my Kappa roommate; she was a Kappa. Lots of comments about, Yea, he was a Beta, lived in the annex. HAHAHA. When you weren't Greek, it's hard to get into that mindset. (Not that there's anything wrong with that ...)

Interrupting the game to show us Gerald Ford's funeral? What was that about? Come on - he was 93, it wasn't a tragic death. And it's a bowl game! Fortunately they didn't stay very long. One guy hollered out, This is why you're not a major sports network!

The game itself: Heartbreaking. How do you go from 12 points up with six minutes to go to losing the game? Aaargh. Profoundly disappointing.

So now I'm thinking this might be a fun group. We've never been involved before, but why not? You take this group of people with nothing in common except that they went to the same school, a university with 20,000 undergrads. And it's amazing how you bond, how you get along with this eclectic group.

Went to dinner at the neighbors, which was fun. I don't know them well, but I like them. Our eldest daughter insisted on leaving and coming home; she was bored. Must work on her social skills.

Today, much work to do. Usually I resent having to work on Saturday, but since I've played all week, it's hard to feel that sense of injustice.

And now, to work. Later!

No comments: