Tuesday, December 12, 2006

News

With the Christmas cards comes news. Some cards bear just a signature, others have a photo. Some let me know that friends have moved, or are planning to relocate. And others let me know of births or deaths. A veritable circle of life in my mailbox at this time of year.

Today, sadly, brought news of a tragedy: the son of Gary's colleague died. He was an 18-year-old college freshman and died of alcohol poisoning. Words cannot describe the grief. We've also had news of a friend's cancer this holiday season, and news of the death of a friend's mother.

All right before the holidays. Though I don't suppose there's ever a good time for these events, surely right before Christmas must be especially painful.

Any complaints I might have feel trivial, as do any joys. Once again, this gives me pause. I am so grateful for my healthy children, for all the good fortune my family has had this year.

My heart goes out to those who have not been so blessed.

No comments: