Saturday, September 08, 2007

Recuperating

I say that we are in recovery, but it really isn't true. A night with six seventh-grade girls was not a big deal - they were very well behaved, very low-key. They swam (until it rained), ate pizza, painted fingernails. Didn't cause any problems, didn't torture anyone.

Of course we were down two daughters - one spent the night with a friend, the other was babysitting.

They even went to bed on time - one of the girls had to get up early today, so they went to bed at a reasonable hour.

Today was mostly relaxing. This morning I cleaned the guest bath, scrubbed the kitchen sink. A bit of a problem, since I am paying a cleaner to take care of these tasks. It's under discussion, believe me. Grrr. I hate to be one of those women who is constantly complaining that things are not done up to her standards. But ignoring the guest bath is a problem.

I also took today to excavate the depths of our refrigerator. Not one of my favorite household tasks; it ranks right down there with, well, with everything, really - cleaning house is not among my favorite pastimes. I found items that were so old ... well, let's just say they weren't recent acquisitions. Some of this I can blame on me and my lack of enthusiasm for cleaning. Some of it I can blame on the girls and their assistance - when they put the groceries away for me, or when they get things for me, they do not look to see if we have an older package of cheese, for example, that is already open.

The problem is solved - for today, anyway. The refrigerator is tidy and sparkling. If only it would stay that way ....

Spent much of the afternoon in the pool - perfect. The day was sunny and warm, and my book entertaining enough.

Mostly, my brain is on vacation today. After a week full of deadlines, I deserve a day off. The grind begins again on Monday.

No comments: