Thursday, September 20, 2007

Recovery

My husband is home, up and around. I cannot believe how much medical care has changed. Two or three decades ago, this would have been major surgery, days in hospital. Now? He was released after two hours. Just before 10 he woke up, and he came home at 10.30.

(It's his gallbladder - or was. He had it removed. I was trying to protect his privacy, but he says no matter, no big deal. He's on Vicodin, eating bland foods, can't shower, but other than that, he feels pretty good.)

On a side note, we are in the full swing of school work around here. I anxiously await progress reports from my children, and I am LOVING that you can log on and check grades (though one of my daughters totally hates this feature of the computer age). I am a big believer in getting papers/tests returned to students quickly. Too much delay impedes the learning process. Grace Gardener, high school history, used to hold onto tests for weeks. It was wretched ... but frankly, most of her teaching strategies would fall under that category. One of the many examples of bad teaching that stands out in my memory; thank goodness we had good teachers, like Bob McLaren, to balance it out.

Finally, finally, last night we watched Part Two of Prime Suspect: The Final Act. It did not disappoint, even though we figured out whodunit - I never saw it coming, then pow! suddenly, we knew who it was. Shocking. That is one gritty show.

This afternoon we started Jesus Camp, which we will finish later. It is also gritty, in a different sort of way. All you have to hear is, "We're Christians ... the others are our enemies" or "It's great how (Christians) can use kids" before you are horrified. Both quotes are paraphrased but trust me, that is the idea. I grew up in the Lutheran and United Church of Christ, and they just did not behave this way.

So. Tomorrow is Friday. And it is Homecoming weekend - it is a learning experience for those of us new to Texas. Details to come. Night, all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad Gary is feeling better. It's amazing how quickly they operate on you and throw you out of the hospital. My back surgery was an Outpatient procedure. As soon as I could walk, they kicked me out. Ok, not really that quickly, but I had my surgery at 8 am and was home by 3 pm.

Good for you for being a better teacher than Grace Gardener. I remember us asking her almost daily if she had our papers done yet. I can't believe the school tolerated her tardiness. I did love Bob McLaren. He was a good teacher and a nice guy.

Speaking of Homecoming...did you get your info on Greenwood's 100 year celebration? It's on the worst weekend for me, but I want to go. Unfortunately, I can't attend anything on Friday night (I'm not interested in soccer anyway) because that's my Waverly House reception, but I thought about Saturday. I wonder if anyone from our class is going. Maybe I'll call Dan Boone and see what he knows.

Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

I called Dan and he's not sure if he's going to the Homecoming festivities. He's still bitter about Greenwood not having a football team. Maybe I'll try Chris Dollar.