Friday, November 03, 2006

What (not) to wear

Spent my afternoon out shopping; it is down in the 60s here, so fall has arrived and my wardrobe is lacking. I am having a hard time finding anything to wear to church. I don't exactly go to the dressiest church in the world, keep in mind, but for me, it's a chance to dress and get out of the house. Thus I needed something other than black pants to wear.

(These complaints from someone who used to go to work four days a week? Where are all those clothes? Let's not go there.)

Suffice it to say styles change. And I caught part of What Not to Wear yesterday and felt inspired.

I am conflicted over that show. Stacy and Clinton bug me on occasion. Or often. They are a bit holier-than-thou, and if I have to hear the words "seaming" or "structure" one more time I may gag. They dress everyone the same. That said, the people they get are in need of serious help. They have awful hair and tend to dress without a clue. They always, always come out looking 200 percent better and about 10 years younger.

But it struck me yesterday, watching them dress a young mother: I wouldn't meet all their criteria. In the summer, I wear jean shorts and Tshirts. I wear overall shorts. I also wear skirts with black tights and loafers. I do not wear skirts with blazers and low heels to get groceries; khaki capris and sandals are my uniform of choice.

They would crucify me. Me! Imagine — I fancy myself quite well dressed. I can't quite find it in me to spend $70 on a pair of pants or over $200 for a suit, but I find clothes that work. I search for bargains, scour the sale racks, browse TJ Maxx on occasion. I frequent Ann Taylor, Macy’s, Dillard’s, Talbots, DSW, the Gap. Somehow it all comes together.

And I think I look pretty good. Most of the time. Yet I am quite sure the WNTW people would take issue with my wardrobe. Ouch; painful reality.

But they wouldn’t complain about what I got yesterday, as I went for new fall colors, a whole new look. Bought brown pants, sweaters in camel, burgundy, and orange. Found a really cute jacket in an orange plaid and a tobacco skirt. A couple of tops in shades of brown and tan (one with a shimmery look). A brown leather jacket to top it all off.

Now I need shoes.

I know that WNTW is a television show. They have advertisers and sponsors to satisfy. I also know they do not live like the rest of us. “Casual” means something entirely different for a television host than it does for me, a freelance writer/editor who works from her home and drives the kids to soccer practice.

Heap on the criticism, Stacy and Clinton. I can handle it. You may know what looks good on television, but I live in the real world. And trust me, I know how to dress the part.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a huge WNTW fan, however I agree with you that Stacy and Clinton are a bit holier than thou at times. And they do tend to dress everyone the same. I don't care how casual it is, the chances of me running around in a skirt are slim to none. I don't need a cocktail dress except once a year, and sometimes not even then, I won't wear pants to Target or the grocery store when jeans will suffice, and I'll probably have on my comfortable shoes while I'm out running around.

That said, I do think sometimes I suffer from a style identity crisis. I'm too old for some of the hipper styles and too young to throw in the fashion towel and shop at Chico's. I take tips from the show and have incorporated more colorful shoes in my wardrobe and am liberal with my accessories. I'd rather spend $200 on a good handbag than on a good pair of pants. Most likely, I'll get more wear out of the purse than the pants. Plus, I do love my accessories. Guess that's why I'm a jewelry designer!