Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Down two kids ...

... with only one daughter left at home. It's a different feeling. But I don't feel as lost as when all three of the girls are gone. The last time they all went to stay with their grandparents I felt completely ill at ease. Yesterday I drove to Austin and we spent the day with my parents, visiting the LBJ Library and eating runzas (thanks, mom!). I left Maddie and Sylvia to spend a couple of days, then I came home. The drive home wasn't so bad; I don't particularly relish nighttime driving on the Interstate (or 290), but at least I could listen to the music I wanted, as loud as I wanted, with no back-seat heckling. So that part was OK.

Today I made some cranberry chutney, then Gary came home early. We went to lunch at a little sushi place, where the menu included the Cypress Roll, whose ingredients included — I kid you not — spiders and cream cheese, wrapped in avocado. Sounds tasty ... we passed.

Then we did a little shopping; big event on the horizon, as Gary's office is celebrating $1 billion in sales with a swanky soirée next month, at a chic eatery near the Galleria; the dress code is specified as "cocktail/formal." Big dilemma: New dress? Wear a dress I already have? Be radical and wear pants? I welcome suggestions ... keeping in mind that a) no one here has seen any of the dresses hanging in my closet; b) all the dresses currently hanging in shops are black and too long for me (I need at or above the knee, being of slight stature), and black is so ... ordinary; c) I am not a teenager, or even a 20-something, and don't want to look as if I'm trying to emulate one; d) I do not want to go nuts buying accessories, and I already own perfectly acceptable black shoes, bag, and pashmina; e) black pants with a cocktail-like top would be lovely and dressy, and might stand out more than a dress; and f) I want to look fantastic, but I want the look to belie all the effort I've put in.

See what heppens when one has too much time on one's hands? As previously stated, comments and/or suggestions are welcome.

Tomorrow it's just me and Alison. We plan to cook much of the day, getting ready for Thanksgiving. We love the preparations, getting all our favorite foods together. The menu includes: turkey (of course); dressing w/apricots and prunes; sweet potato casserole; Gullivered corn; mashed potato casserole; green beans; cranberry chutney; rolls (Alison's specialty); pumpkin ribbon bread; pumpkin pie; poppyseed cake. Mmmm ...

Just the three of us tonight; that is different. Should be nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same wardrobe dilemma recently so I'll share what I wore. I didn't want to wear my black dress (seemed too expected) but I wanted to look great. I wore ivory satin tuxedo pants, and black matte silk kimono sleeve top and red patent pumps. I paired it with some funky jewelry (my event wasn't quite as dressy as yours) and a vintage clutch bag. I think pants can be really exciting and dressy if done right. What about some sating tux pants and a sequined halter top? You have the build for it and halters can look really dressy. I could see you in black pants with a silver top.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Your menu sounds wonderful.

Cindy said...

All I have to do now is find the right top! (Sigh) ... easier said than done. If you see one, let me know where.