Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Stayed Up Too Late

And today I am tired, moving slowly. I stayed up because Gary is out of town and after the girls go to sleep, the house is mine. And there is something magical about having the house to yourself. So, I read a bit, and finished watching Woody Allen's Match Point, which I had to interrupt with the Colbert Report. Pre-election coverage, you know.

***SPOILER ALERT*** The movie was great — though I should point out that he is one of my favorite directors, thus I generally love his movies — and at the same time, I was profoundly disturbed. It's the same theme as Crimes and Misdemeanors, where the guy gets away with killing his mistress. You're not sure he will; it looks for a while as if he will get caught. But in the end, he gets away scot-free. And she (in this case, along with an innocent bystander) is dead. Even worse, in this film, I genuinely liked the guy to begin with. He was a good sort. And he has to go and foul up his life by having an illicit affair (I was really rooting for him not to do it — please don't sleep with her! You're only making it worse for yourself!) and then events spiraled out of control.

Need to write some e-mails. Need to tidy the kitchen. Need to vacuum downstairs. Need to make my bed. And there's more. Always more to do. Need to buy a birthday gift for a friend.

Though I did exercise today, time on the elliptical. The scale says good things these days; makes me happy. Let's hope writing about it doesn't jinx it.

Two of my daily blog reads are out of commission. One is in Europe celebrating her birthday; the other is MIA for reasons unknown. Too bad, as I enjoy catching up with them.

It's Election Day; I am totally jazzed about spending my evening in front of the television watching the returns. All signs point to the Democrats taking control of Congress, maybe even the Senate. But it's too early to say; best not to be too optimistic. I need to remain cautious, keep my guard up. I am really rooting for Nancy Pelosi to be the next Speaker of the House, Harry Reid to be the new Senate Majority Leader. I know Rick Perry will be re-elected governor here, but I've known that all along, so I won't feel the letdown. I'm saving my energy for the big picture.

Yet it could all play out very differently. I'll check in tomorrow, either rejoicing or mourning the outcome. Til then ... but make sure you vote. Even if you're not voting the way I did, you have to do it. It's your responsibility.

Happy Election Day, all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you on your assessment of Match Point. I love Woody Allen, too, but it was the same plot as Crimes and Misdemeanors (one of my favorite Woody Allen movies). I did like Match Point, but I thought maybe he was losing his creativity since he had to go back to a similar storyline. Anyway, I still like him and my favorite Woody Allen Film?? Hmm, this is tough, but I think I will go with Mighty Aphrodite, with Annie Hall a close second.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.