Tuesday, March 21, 2006

How did I end up in Texas?

Is it true? Do I really live in Texas? Home of the Bushes? Tom DeLay? How, you may ask yourself, did a nice, liberal girl from the Midwest end up in Texas? We're talking someone who likes to live near downtown, who loves century-old homes, the "urban" life of a mid-sized city. This is what happens when one's better half has a job with a Fortune 500 company (we'll call it Big C) that has offices all over. Since we've been married, we've lived in Illlinois, Indiana (two times), Germany, and now, Houston, Texas.

I never saw it coming. When we got married I think I was ready to relocate, to find someplace interesting where we could settle down. I didn't really think Illinois was my dream destination — nothing short of Manhattan or London would equate that. But we settled in, had children. Each move has gotten harder. This one has been the most challenging by far.

But when you're with the one you chose, you can make it work. And we will. Ultimately, Houston has a lot to offer. Better weather, lots of musuems and cultural offerings, shopping (!), a house with a pool. We're out in the suburbs for the fantastic schools. Lots of driving, lots of strip malls.

We'll just call it an adventure. It'll be fun.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

We shall see.

No comments: