Friday, August 18, 2006

Organization heaven

The Container Store can make all my dreams come true.

I fantasize about having a perfect house. One where everything is neat and tidy, all the little cluttery pieces put away all the time. There are several obstacles to my achieving this; I can name three right away, but there are others — moi included. I have two desks, one in the kitchen and one upstairs, and at the moment, both are a mess. So it's not all the kids' fault.

When I visit the Container Store, I believe, even if only for a fleeting moment, that this dream is attainable. All I need are the proper containers and my perfect house dream will become reality.

I don't even really go nuts there; today I picked up some jars for the bathroom (decorative as well as functional) and CD shelves. But I spent lots of time browsing, getting ideas about achieving my dream home.

I love that these stores make us feel as if this perfect home is right there, available for the masses. Just like Target and IKEA, simplifying style, making cheap shopping chic, and marketing it on a budget.

Makes life fun; makes getting my life in order feel less like a chore and more like a project.

Hurrah for mass-marketed organization; hurray for capitalism that makes it all possible.

And hurray for me, for getting the CDs on shelves and my cabinets in order. There.

No comments: