Monday, August 21, 2006

Happy Birthday, Sylvia!

Just another day ... or not? Today is the day, eight years ago, that we welcomed daughter No. 3 into our lives. Our little family was complete: mother, father, three little girls. After Maddie was born I felt so wonderful, I just had to do it again. And I was not disappointed. She has been an absolute delight in every way.

But she is at school today, so the celebration will wait until later. Much work to do today. I need to take care of some work stuff, tidy up a bit, run some errands. Need to finish A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve, but it's not capturing my attention like some of her books have. But I'll finish it — I always do, or I feel like I can't pass judgment.

I need to read something more substantial. I tend to lean toward very light fiction in the summer. It's easy to read by the pool, it's fun. But reading Bergdorf Blondes about did me in; what a mindless piece of nonsense. I know it's labeled a farce, but I just thought it was a waste; those characters had no redeeming qualities.

I have enjoyed reading the Betsy-Tacy books to the girls. Per a friend's recommendation (thanks, Gale!) I picked them up, and they are charming. Reminds of so much other really good children's literature: Eleanor Estes, Lois Lenski, Carolyn Haywood, Beverly Cleary. I love curling up with Sylvia to read them; even 12-year-old Maddie will join us.

Well, so much to do today. The time for dilly-dallying is over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Sylvia! I can't believe you're eight today. I hope you have a wonderful day.