Monday, May 01, 2006

The affliction that is celebrity

I'm not breaking any new ground here, but since when is George Clooney an expert on Darfur?

Let me be upfront: I think Clooney and I are actually on the same page politically, in some respects. But I'm not sure when I missed his transition to political pundit. Last I checked he was an actor making movies. Does he have any qualifications for spouting off his opinions on world affairs?

I'm not even sure he went to college (pause ... and a quick check on imdb.com shows that he studied "for a few years" at Northern Kentucky University); one of his first acting jobs was on "The Facts of Life" — and as a supporting character! Yet he is sharing his vast knowledge of how the U.S.A. should handle foreign relations?

He is no more qualified than Tom Cruise is to discuss psychiatry and post-partum depression and childbirth; just because your girlfriend has a baby does not an expert make.

I read somewhere that Reese Witherspoon was listed as a person of influence. For what?!?

We need to get over our obsession with all people famous. I've said before that Katie Couric acts like an airhead, but at least she did study somewhere reputable and she has worked on the news. The goofy "I'm cute and famous" act came later.

Just because an actor/actress makes a lot of money doesn't make them experts on any issue. Terri Hatcher, Patricia Heaton, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Richard Gere. I actually agree with some of these people, but I'm not sure I trust them to help me navigate the complicated world.

I read an interview with Gillian Anderson where she described the making of Bleak House and how difficult and demanding it was for her to get into character. And I'd like her to step back and remember that SHE IS ACTING. Her whole career is about playing dress-up. Pretend. It's not saving the world. You, actors, are not that important. Not in the way that my daughters' teachers or librarians are. Or people who volunteer at the Crisis Center. Or teach preschool. These are jobs that really do change the world.

Get over yourselves already.

No comments: